The Abbeyfield Winchester Society Ltd is a registered society under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014, a not for proft exempt charity. The Society is affiliated to the Abbeyfield Society and is committed to compliance with their Core Standard. The Regulator of Social Housing, part of the Homes and Community Agency, is our regulator.
These volunteers set the strategy for the Society and have overall responsibility for the management of its assets.
The management team consists of a House Manager and Administrator (pictured). They are assisted by a team of catering and domestic staﬀ who look after the day-to-day running of the houses and the needs of the residents.
Applications to join the Board of Trustees are always welcome. Please contact us to register an interest.
The Abbeyfield Winchester Society Ltd was formed in 1982, and Cambria House, an Edwardian House with 8 rooms was opened in St Peters Street in the heart of Winchester.
Cambria House was run by a Board of Trustees and a committee of volunteers. It had a resident Housekeeper, and a small number of support staﬀ to provide meals and clean the house. At the time, it was an ideal location for active older people as it had easy access to all the City amenities.
In 1996 Orchard Close, a large country house located on the edge of Twyford, became part of the Abbeyfield Winchester Society Ltd.
Orchard Close was built in 1911 in a beautiful location with around two acres of land. The house was extended in 1921, and the garden was designed and developed over the years to include a wonderful collection of plants, trees, a rockery, a secret garden and other formal flower beds.
Orchard Close was first opened as a residential home for the elderly in 1959 by Cathleen Cusack. In 1977 the House became a charitable trust, and when Kathleen retired as principal Trustee in 1996, the House was handed over to The Abbeyfield Winchester Society Ltd. Kathleen continued to live in the House until shortly before her death in 2008. The House, renamed Cusack House, was fully modernised to provide 14 bed-sitting rooms, all with en-suite facilities. The remaining residents in Cambria House moved to Orchard Close, and Cambria House was closed in 2002.
The subsequent sale of Cambria House enabled investment in Orchard Close, including the development of an additional house. In 2009, the Society completed and opened a second house with ten two roomed ﬂats. This new house was named Thornton House after Pat Thornton MBE, a former president of the Society and long-term friend and helper of Orchard Close. These ﬂats are designed for couples or single occupancy, either as two bed-sitting rooms with shared facilities, or a double bedroom and sitting room. Both houses are linked enabling the facilities in each house to be shared by all.
“We have now been here five years, and have made a very happy home in our ﬂat which looks out over lovely gardens. So thank you Abbeyfield for looking after us so well.” Rosemary & Eric Edwards